Saturday, August 05, 2006

Savanarola and Fighting Monks


I had a delightful telephone call from Desmond Seward last night, Desmond had been a parishioner here until a few months ago and has now moved away. I lent a copy of his new book 'The Burning of the Vanities' to a friend of mine, he enjoyed it so much I had to ask for it back five times (well he was a priest) in reparation he lent me one of Desmond's other books, 'The Monks of War' about those extraordinary fighting monks of the crusades. I am going to take it to Umbria later this month.

If you like history you will like Desmond's books, they are informative, sometimes very amusing, never too heavy and always delightful and rather stylish. Nice short chapters which are ideal for a busy reader. If you are looking for something to read on holiday and like history have at look his Amazon page, by clicking the title of this post.

1 comment:

Jeffrey Smith said...

Desmond Seward was a parishioner? I love his books. One of the best writers of history out there these days.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...